News
Civil Aviation
Pilot Training
Flight School Analysis
Aviation Jobs
Training
Services
About Us
Contact Us

Two Dead After Light Aircraft Crashes In Remote Area Of North Wales, AAIB Investigates

Picture of Aviation Today News Desk

Aviation Today News Desk

Trawsfynydd, United Kingdom: Two people have died after a light aircraft crashed in a remote area near Trawsfynydd, Gwynedd, North Wales, on August 14, after failing to arrive at Caernarfon Airport as scheduled. North Wales Police said it received reports shortly after midday that the aircraft, which had been travelling from an airfield in England, had not reached its destination. A multi-agency air and ground search was launched, with the aircraft eventually located in a remote area near Trawsfynydd. Both people on board were pronounced dead at the scene. The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) has been notified and deployed a team of investigators to the site. The incident came to light shortly after noon when the aircraft failed to arrive at Caernarfon Airport, its scheduled destination. Police and partner agencies then began searching for the missing aircraft from the air and ground. The remote location of the wreckage near Trawsfynydd made the operation challenging, although police have not publicly disclosed the exact crash site. North Wales Police Chief Superintendent Owain Llewellyn said: “This has been a challenging search operation,” while thanking the agencies involved for their professionalism and dedication. Police have not released details of what caused the aircraft to crash, and there is currently no official indication that a mechanical failure, weather conditions, pilot action or any other factor was responsible. The AAIB is now leading the technical investigation, meaning any explanation of the circumstances remains premature. The police said they would support the AAIB investigation “to ensure the circumstances leading to this incident are fully understood.” The two occupants were the only people confirmed to have been on board, and both died at the crash site. Their identities have not yet been released publicly by North Wales Police. No official information has also been released on their ages, nationalities, whether one was the pilot and the other a passenger, or their relationship to each other. Police said specialist officers would support the families and friends of those involved. Chief Superintendent Llewellyn said: “Our thoughts are with the families and friends of those involved in this tragic incident.” The aircraft was travelling from an airfield in England towards Caernarfon Airport in Gwynedd. However, neither North Wales Police nor the media reports available so far have identified the departure airfield. The exact route, flight purpose and planned arrival time have also not been disclosed. Details about the aircraft itself also remain limited. Authorities have described it only as a “light aircraft”. Its manufacturer, model, registration, operator and owner have not been publicly confirmed in the official police statement or the initial media reports reviewed for this report. Until those details are confirmed by the AAIB, police, the aircraft registry or another authoritative source, they should not be attributed to the aircraft involved. The search involved multiple agencies using both air and ground resources before the aircraft was located. The police have praised the emergency agencies involved, but the initial statement does not provide a full list of participating organisations, the number of rescuers deployed, the aircraft or helicopters used in the search, or how long it took to locate the wreckage. Those details may emerge as the investigation and recovery operation progresses. The AAIB has now sent investigators to the scene. Its role is to establish the circumstances and probable cause of the accident and, where appropriate, make safety recommendations. No preliminary findings from the investigation have been publicly released.
Trawsfynydd, United Kingdom: Two people have died after a light aircraft crashed in a remote area near Trawsfynydd, Gwynedd, North Wales, on August 14, after failing to arrive at Caernarfon Airport as scheduled. North Wales Police said it received reports shortly after midday that the aircraft, which had been travelling from an airfield in England, had not reached its destination. A multi-agency air and ground search was launched, with the aircraft eventually located in a remote area near Trawsfynydd. Both people on board were pronounced dead at the scene. The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) has been notified and deployed a team of investigators to the site. The incident came to light shortly after noon when the aircraft failed to arrive at Caernarfon Airport, its scheduled destination. Police and partner agencies then began searching for the missing aircraft from the air and ground. The remote location of the wreckage near Trawsfynydd made the operation challenging, although police have not publicly disclosed the exact crash site. North Wales Police Chief Superintendent Owain Llewellyn said: “This has been a challenging search operation,” while thanking the agencies involved for their professionalism and dedication. Police have not released details of what caused the aircraft to crash, and there is currently no official indication that a mechanical failure, weather conditions, pilot action or any other factor was responsible. The AAIB is now leading the technical investigation, meaning any explanation of the circumstances remains premature. The police said they would support the AAIB investigation “to ensure the circumstances leading to this incident are fully understood.” The two occupants were the only people confirmed to have been on board, and both died at the crash site. Their identities have not yet been released publicly by North Wales Police. No official information has also been released on their ages, nationalities, whether one was the pilot and the other a passenger, or their relationship to each other. Police said specialist officers would support the families and friends of those involved. Chief Superintendent Llewellyn said: “Our thoughts are with the families and friends of those involved in this tragic incident.” The aircraft was travelling from an airfield in England towards Caernarfon Airport in Gwynedd. However, neither North Wales Police nor the media reports available so far have identified the departure airfield. The exact route, flight purpose and planned arrival time have also not been disclosed. Details about the aircraft itself also remain limited. Authorities have described it only as a “light aircraft”. Its manufacturer, model, registration, operator and owner have not been publicly confirmed in the official police statement or the initial media reports reviewed for this report. Until those details are confirmed by the AAIB, police, the aircraft registry or another authoritative source, they should not be attributed to the aircraft involved. The search involved multiple agencies using both air and ground resources before the aircraft was located. The police have praised the emergency agencies involved, but the initial statement does not provide a full list of participating organisations, the number of rescuers deployed, the aircraft or helicopters used in the search, or how long it took to locate the wreckage. Those details may emerge as the investigation and recovery operation progresses. The AAIB has now sent investigators to the scene. Its role is to establish the circumstances and probable cause of the accident and, where appropriate, make safety recommendations. No preliminary findings from the investigation have been publicly released.
Image: Caernarfon Airport (Representational) 

Trawsfynydd, United Kingdom: Two people have died after a light aircraft crashed in a remote area near Trawsfynydd, Gwynedd, North Wales, on August 14, after failing to arrive at Caernarfon Airport as scheduled. North Wales Police said it received reports shortly after midday that the aircraft, which had been travelling from an airfield in England, had not reached its destination. 

A multi-agency air and ground search was launched, with the aircraft eventually located in a remote area near Trawsfynydd. Both people on board were pronounced dead at the scene. The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) has been notified and deployed a team of investigators to the site. 

The incident came to light shortly after noon when the aircraft failed to arrive at Caernarfon Airport, its scheduled destination. Police and partner agencies then began searching for the missing aircraft from the air and ground. 

The remote location of the wreckage near Trawsfynydd made the operation challenging, although police have not publicly disclosed the exact crash site. North Wales Police Chief Superintendent Owain Llewellyn said: “This has been a challenging search operation,” while thanking the agencies involved for their professionalism and dedication.

Police have not released details of what caused the aircraft to crash, and there is currently no official indication that a mechanical failure, weather conditions, pilot action or any other factor was responsible. The AAIB is now leading the technical investigation, meaning any explanation of the circumstances remains premature. The police said they would support the AAIB investigation “to ensure the circumstances leading to this incident are fully understood.”

The two occupants were the only people confirmed to have been on board, and both died at the crash site. Their identities have not yet been released publicly by North Wales Police. No official information has also been released on their ages, nationalities, whether one was the pilot and the other a passenger, or their relationship to each other. Police said specialist officers would support the families and friends of those involved. Chief Superintendent Llewellyn said: “Our thoughts are with the families and friends of those involved in this tragic incident.”

The aircraft was travelling from an airfield in England towards Caernarfon Airport in Gwynedd. However, neither North Wales Police nor the media reports available so far have identified the departure airfield. The exact route, flight purpose and planned arrival time have also not been disclosed. 

Details about the aircraft itself also remain limited. Authorities have described it only as a “light aircraft”. Its manufacturer, model, registration, operator and owner have not been publicly confirmed in the official police statement or the initial media reports reviewed for this report. Until those details are confirmed by the AAIB, police, the aircraft registry or another authoritative source, they should not be attributed to the aircraft involved.

The search involved multiple agencies using both air and ground resources before the aircraft was located. The police have praised the emergency agencies involved, but the initial statement does not provide a full list of participating organisations, the number of rescuers deployed, the aircraft or helicopters used in the search, or how long it took to locate the wreckage. Those details may emerge as the investigation and recovery operation progresses.

The AAIB has now sent investigators to the scene. Its role is to establish the circumstances and probable cause of the accident and, where appropriate, make safety recommendations. No preliminary findings from the investigation have been publicly released.

Leave a Comment

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Recent News

Aviation Today Perspectives